The Standing Committee is the Council of Advice to the Bishop which shall be the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese when there is no bishop. Five clergy of the diocese and four members of the laity who are enrolled confirmed adult communicants in good standing make up the council. The term of office shall be for three years, with three members being elected at each annual Convention.
Contact Cathy Deats, president of the Standing Committee.
RECENT ACTIONS OF THE STANDING COMMITTEE
The following is the first Standing Committee Quarterly Report planned for the Diocese of North Carolina Our goal is to communicate our responsibilities, our work, and our requirements in an effort to increase transparency and be more accessible to the congregations and missions of the Diocese.
Report Q4 2020
During the fourth quarter of 2020, The Standing Committee of the Diocese of North Carolina:
- Consented to episcopal election in the Diocese of Wyoming
- Reviewed its work on Becoming Beloved Community / Anti-White Supremacy efforts, including participating in a follow-up Anti-White Supremacy Workshop conducted by The Rev. Jabriel Ballentine on October 19.Work continues on three themes identified in the 2019 workshop: (1) access to power structures (specifically Standing Committee and Diocesan Council), (2) unequal distribution of funds, and (3) worship.
- Reaffirmed their recommendation for ordination to the priesthood the following: Laura Rezac, Matt Addington, Rebecca Ogus, Andrew Ancona, Paul Daniels, Lizzie McManus-Dail, Joe Sroka and Caitlyn Darnell.
- Recommended for ordination to the vocational diaconate the following: Joe Dzugan, Kristin Edrington, Maureen Flak and Pamela Haynes
- Approved the sale of a residential structure by Grace, Lexington to Habitat for Humanity
- Approved the sale of a portion of land at St. Stephen’s, Oxford
- Approved the transfer of real property from the Diocese to St. Titus, Durham, since they attained parish status
- Approved the transfer of real property from the Diocese to Trinity, Fuquay-Varina, since they attained parish status
- Elected three members for the term ending 2023: Mr. Marcus Clarke, The Rev. Nancy Cox, Ms. Septina Florimonte
- Acted as Council of Advice for The Rt. Rev. Sam Rodman
Did you know that prior to signing a lease, taking out a mortgage or loan, or selling church property you must petition the Standing Committee for approval? (Canon 23, Canons of the Diocese of North Carolina)
Please help us to help you with these legal matters by having your initial petition and supporting documents to us no later than two weeks prior to our monthly meeting date, the third Monday of each month at 9:00 am at Diocesan House (currently via Zoom).It is best to contact us as soon as you think you may be involved in any of these events. Please send all correspondence to the president, the Rev. Cathy Deats.
Your needs will be addressed as efficiently as possible so that you can meet your deadlines and we can effectively conduct our business.
If the Standing Committee has questions on your proposal, we may contact you for further information. On rare occasions, the Standing Committee will contact you to schedule time to address the Committee in person.
We are here to serve you and to address your needs; please help us to meet your expectations and goals.
The Rev. Pamela Haynes
The Rev. Greg Jones, property liaison
The Rev. Nancy Cox
The Rev. Dr. Cathy Deats, president
The Rev. Javier Almendarez Bautista
Carolyn Beranek, secretary