We are all responsible for the care of the planet we call home. After all, if we are not good stewards of the world around us, we have no foundation from which to build our efforts in Becoming Beloved Community.
Our priority of Creation Care is all about reconnecting to the land. Led by the dedicated and constant work of the Chartered Committee on Creation Care, resources have been developed that any and every individual or congregation can use and implement, including weekly green tips, monthly reflections, presentations to churches, finding grants and resources congregations can utilize to build collaborative relationships with organizations doing work in similar areas.Believing that all creation is interconnected and that grace is present in all of God’s creation, we commit to take an active and holistic approach to environmental stewardship through education, service, and sustainable practices.
The Committee on Environmental Ministry has gathered a variety of resources to help your congregation on its way to environmental stewardship. From a checklist of do's and don't's for those just starting the environmental stewardship process to liturgical guides and adult formation resources for congregations looking to enhance and inspire their current programs.
The Committee on Environmental Ministry sponsors Green Grants to support congregations' creation care initiatives. The following congregations received grants in 2020:
- All Saints', Concord - Creation of a native tree sampling bank (pictured)
- Episcopal Farmworker Ministry (EFWM) - Installation of Composting bins
- St. Ambrose, Raleigh - Prayer Garden and Columbarium
- Weekly Tips to Go Green
- Thinking about starting an Environmental Stewardship Committee? Good!
- Continuing Work for Environmental Stewardship Committees
- A Liturgical Guide to Celebrating God's Creation
- A Pastoral Teaching on the Environment from the House of Bishops
- Recommended Films and Documentaries
- Recommended Books on Creation Care
- A Catechism of Creation: An Episcopal Understanding
- To Serve Christ in All Creation