Diocesan Council is an elected body which conducts the affairs of the diocese between conventions. Duties of the Diocesan Council, outlined in Canon 15, are:
(a) Assist the Bishop and Bishop Coadjutor, if there beone, in planning and developing the work of the Church in the Diocese.
(b) Assist the Bishop and Bishop Coadjutor, if there be one, in administering the work of the Church in the Diocese through whatever departments, divisions, commissions, or other agencies may be established from time to time for that purpose.
(c) Supervise, coordinate, and review the work of all departments, agencies, and diocesan officers charged with holding title to property; be responsible for maintaining such property; and be responsible for designating qualifying church buildings as "Historic Churches."
(d) Direct, coordinate, and administer the financial affairs of the Diocese not vested by canon in other officers or agencies.
(e) Directly or through agents under its direction and control, fix all compensation except that fixed by the Convention.
(f) Supervise and coordinate all departments, agencies, and diocesan officers charged with record-keeping, maintenance of archives, and preserving and writing the history of the Diocese, its departments, agencies, and congregations.
(g) As deemed desirable, adopt by-laws, rules, and regulations for its government and for the government of its officials, agents, employees, departments, and agencies.
(h) Make and preserve a full record of its acts and of the work of each of its departments and furnish to each annual Convention a full report of all its actions and all moneys expended under its direction during the preceding year, including a report from each department of the Council with respect to the work done by such department.
The council is comprised of six members of clergy eligible to vote in the Convention and nine members of the laity (who are enrolled confirmed adult communicants in good standing of the Church in the Diocese) who are elected for terms of three years, staggered so that one-third of the 15 are elected each year.
RECENT ACTIONS OF COUNCIL
The following is a summary of actions of Diocesan Council from January through September 2019.
- Embraced "Vulnerable Congregations" as the priority of Council in 2019.
- Continued to develop demographic information and analysis to inform actions in this regard.
- Elected the Rev. Linda Nye to fill a vacancy on Council.
- Reviewed unaudited financial results of the Diocese for full-year 2018.
- Amended the charter of the Committee on History and Archives; adopted a new charter for the Mission Resource and Support Team.
- Authorized a disbursement of $15,000 over two years to the Church Pension Fund for benefit of retired clergy in the Diocese of Cuba.
- Authorized a disbursement of $30,000 over four years to the School of Theology of the University of the South for support of students of color in the ordination process of The Episcopal Church.
- Adopted a plan for St Michael and All Angels, Charlotte.
- Proposed changes to Rule of Order III at Convention.
- Learned that the John Locke Foundation is vacating the first and second floors of Diocesan House.
- Authorized posting for a full-time missioner for black ministries.
- Adopted a new process for officers, appointees, commissions, committees and other diocesan entities to submit annual reports to Convention.
- Set a range of dates in October for webinars on the proposed 2020 mission and ministry budget and meetings of convocations.
- Approved a tentative plan for the former All Saints, Warrenton, property.
- Expressed great appreciation for the service of Canon Weigert to the Diocese.
- Learned that the Fair Share Appeals Board did not have to consider any appeals for 2020.
- Received an initial report from the Bishop's Committee on Lay Ministry.
- Amended the By-laws of Council to reflect restructuring of diocesan staff following the retirement of Canon Weigert.
- Authorized the lease of the upper parking lot at Diocesan House to Campbell University.
- Authorized extension of the lease of the former Epiphany, Rocky Mount, property.
- Adopted recommendations of the Chartered Committee on Insurance for healthcare coverage of diocesan employees and retired clergy in 2020.
- Approved By-laws of the Board of Directors of the Good Samaritan Fund.
- Approved a tentative 2020 mission and ministry budget.