Actions of Diocesan Council in Response to COVID-19 and an Emerging Financial Crisis
March 26, 2020
To all Rectors, Vicars, Priests-in-charge, Interim clergy, and Senior Wardens:
As all of us continue to deal with the consequences of COVID-19 in so many ways, the Diocesan Council today adopted a resolution that calls upon me to inform you of the following.
- Council is already at work to reduce the expenses of the Diocese and is preparing to make further reductions as required.
- Council urges each church to communicate, with grace and due concern for the well-being of its members, the importance of members’ continued giving to the church as they are able.
- Council commends the Financial Guidance webpage of the Diocese, which contains helpful suggestions for how churches may manage their finances during the crisis. At a later date, the staff of the Diocese will clarify policy and legal requirements for any workforce reductions that a church finds necessary.
- All provisions of the Constitution and Canons of The Episcopal Church and the Constitution and Canons of the Diocese remain in effect unless waived or modified by the appropriate authority.
- Council suggests that any vestry or other body conducting an online meeting:
- Ensures full and equal participation by all members.
- Recognizes that non-verbal means of communication are often hindered in online meetings and therefore seeks out the expression of individual opinions, feelings and concerns.
- Embraces the particularities of members’ family and home situations.
I invite you to direct any questions, comments or concerns about this letter to any member of Diocesan Council.
Yours in Christ,
Charles L. Till
Secretary to Diocesan Council
Tags: Coronavirus Resources